If your vehicle is stolen

Immediately inform the police and your insurance company if your vehicle has been stolen.

Local police station

Dial ‘101’ and ask to be put through to your local police.

Have ready the following details:

  • vehicle registration number
  • vehicle make
  • vehicle model
  • vehicle colour

The crime reference number you receive will be needed for your insurance company or to claim back your vehicle tax.

The DVLA will be informed about the theft by the police.

Insurance company

Contact your insurance company for information about how to make a claim.

Contact the DVLA if your insurance pays out

If your insurance claim for your stolen vehicle is successful you must tell DVLA it's been bought by the insurance company.

You can also complete the ‘notification of sale or transfer’ V5C/3 section of your V5C registration certificate and send it to DVLA. You should include a letter saying when the payment was accepted and details of the insurance company.

You'll need to give the remaining part of the V5C to the insurance company.

If your insurance company asks for the whole of the V5C registration certificate then you'll need to send a letter to DVLA including:

  • the details of your insurance company
  • the date of the claim
  • your registration number
  • the make, model and colour of your vehicle
  • your signature

Send your letter to:

SA99 1BD