Claim a tax refund

Claim a refund for any full months of tax remaining by cancelling your vehicle tax if you no longer have the vehicle or if it is off the road.

How to cancel

You can only cancel your tax by contacting the DVLA if you meet the following criteria:

  • sold or transferred
  • taken off the road - Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • written off by your insurance company
  • formally scrapped
  • stolen
  • exported to outside of the UK
  • exempt from vehicle tax

After contacting the DVLA

  • Your tax will be cancelled by DVLA. if paying by Direct Debit, it will be cancelled automatically.
  • You will receive a cheque for the remaining months automatically from the DVLA. The cheque is sent to the name and address on the vehicle log book.

You will not be refunded for:

  • credit card fees
  • the 5% surcharge on some direct debit payments
  • the 10% surcharge on a single 6 month payment

Problems with the refund

Contact the DVLA if you haven't got your refund cheque after 6 weeks.

Check your tax status online now

Check tax now